Mon - Fri : 9:00-5:00
Free Consultation

I did not receive a W-2, what do I do?  As a tax attorney, this can be an issue for some individuals.  If you received wages from an employer, your employer must issue you a W-2, which is a wage and tax statement.  The W-2 will show the amount of wages you received, Social Security tax withheld, Medicare tax withheld and federal income tax withheld.  Your W-2 can also provide additional information.  The article below has been drafted by a tax attorney at The McGuire Law Firm to provide general information regarding your options if you did not receive a W-2.

First, contact your employer.  Your employer could have made a mistake or maybe the W-2 got lost in the mail.  Employers are supposed to receive their W-2 on or before January 31st of the following year for which the work was performed.

If you do not have any luck contacting your employer, contact the Internal Revenue Service. You will need your name, address, social security number, employer’s name, address and phone number and the dates you worked for this employer.  You can also provide an estimated of the amount of wage you made.  If you have your final pay stub for the year, you may also be able to use this information.

It is still important to file your 1040 Individual Income Tax Return timely.  You can use Form 4852, which is a substitute W-2 when you file the 1040 tax return.  If you are unable to file the return timely, you can file for an extension with the IRS.

If you estimated your wages and withholding, you may need to correct your 1040 tax return if you later receive your W-2 or other information and the wages and withholding you claimed were not correct.  You can amend your 1040 tax return by filing Form 1040X.

Please contact The McGuire Law Firm to discuss your tax matters and questions with a tax attorney.  All potential clients receive a free consultation with a tax attorney.  The McGuire Law Firm has law offices in Denver, Colorado and Golden, Colorado.  Contact The McGuire Law Firm today!

Denver Tax Attorney Denver Tax Lawyer IRS Tax Attorney

Related Posts